The divorce or separation may be processed in Spain by mutual agreement or through a lawsuit in the Courts in the city of the couple’s last registered address. The divorce may be processed by mutual agreement or through a lawsuit filed by only one of the spouses.

In order to be able to process it, the only documents required are the marriage certificate and the birth certificates of the children, if any. You will also have to prove that you are living or have been living in Spain before you separated.


If it is a divorce by mutual agreement the spouses should sign a settlement agreement and one month after the divorce claim has been accepted by the judge, the judge will call the spouses to ratify the Settlement Agreement that has been presented and then the judgment for the divorce will be given immediately.